On reflection, my previous blog on reasons why you should join the new social network was a little premature and assumptive, because since then I’ve had several friends ask me what Google+ actually is. Well at the time of writing (these things change), here’s my attempt to answer that question.
The answer is really quite simple : It’s Google’s latest attempt at creating a social network. I say latest attempt because it has tried with various products in the past but some didn’t take off ( Google Wave ) and others just failed to gain a critical mass (GoogleBuzz)
For a complete guide, Check out this great guide on the service >> http://on.mash.to/paMQn
What does it do ?
Well it’s based on 5 key features.
- Streams. These essentially work in the same way as the Facebook news feeds except Google places it at the forefront of it’s experience where as on Facebook, profiles dominate.
- Photos: This is essentially a re-modelled version of Picasa photo albums. It will be eventually re-branded to something like Google Photos once Google+ takes off.
- Profile: This is self explanatory but for those already familiar with google accounts, the profile will mostly feature anything you’ve set to be publicly viewed.
- Circles: This is by far the biggest feature on the service. Think of it like lists on Facebook but it plays on the idea of friendship circles and the user interface is quite neat.
- Hangouts & Huddles. Huddles are essentially group chats and reside on mobile devices, and hangouts are essentially like common rooms but on the web. You can group video call with up to 10 people for free and google has a pretty neat way of making it work. You have to try it with at least three people to see the benefits.
- Yes i know i said 5 but there is one feature that’s not obvious with the service. Google has a range of services and Google+ will act as great way to put all these services to use within a social network. Watch the video below to get an idea of what i mean.
When is it Launched?
Yes it’s not been officially launched. The 2million plus users at the moment are still experiencing the beta version and business also have a tailored setup on the way. You can however get invites pretty easily from a friend but if not drop a comment below using your email and I’ll send you an invite.
Have you tried it yet ?
If your one of the 2million who have already registered for the service, let us know your thoughts below.